The Friedrichstadt Palast is unique in its program and its dimensions.
Here the great tradition of Berlin show entertainment is continued in a highly modern way.
Its dimensions are unmatched: on the world’s largest theater stage play the world’s largest ensuite shows here.
The eventful history of the legendary palace goes back to 1919, when Max Reinhardt the Great Playhouse, from November 1, 1947 Friedrichstadt Palast called, opened. Since 1984 it has been a gigantic new building on Friedrichstrasse 107 in Berlin-Mitte, in the middle of the East End theater district.
The building doesn’t look that big from Friedrichstrasse, but it is deceptive.
It is 80 meters wide, 110 meters long and has a constructed space of 195,000 Cubic meters. The massive building is the last magnificent building to be built on April 27, 1984 by the East Germans. An outstanding architectural testimony to the German-German division.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the palace managed to become the first address for complex and to establish spectacular show entertainment in reunited Germany.
After extensive investments in the millions, the palace is still the largest and most modern show palace in Europe.
Exclusive seating for the highest demands can be found in the Wall Sky Lounge. she is the one world’s first sky lounge in a theater and offers the opportunity for six people the show in a separate lounge area with its own bar from above to watch.
The palace has been Berlin’s top address for great entertainment for almost a hundred years. In 1910, Max Reinhardt played for the first time in the arena of what was then Circus Schumann, at that time in the building originally built as a market hall on Schiffbauerdamm at the address ‘Am Zirkus 1’. When Reinhardt founded the Grand Playhouse there in 1919, the predecessor of the palace, the modernist architect Hans Poelzig created a grandiose theater building on his behalf. From 1924, the newly appointed artistic director Erik Charell created revues that continue to shape the reputation and aesthetics of Berlin’s “Golden Twenties”.
On January 18, 1934, the house continued as a Nazi propaganda theater under the name “Theater des Volkes”. The largest theater in the Reich was directly subordinate to the Minister of Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels. Theater operations were resumed in autumn 1945. On November 1, 1947 it received the current name Friedrichstadt-Palast. In 1980 the old palace had to be closed and later demolished because the subsoil had subsided and the building had been statically distorted. On April 27, 1984, the new palace at Friedrichstrasse 107 was reopened as the last great building of East Germany.
The tradition of the revue is continued glamorously and modernly at Friedrichstraße 107. The biggest names in the show industry were already on the stage of this legendary house. To name just a few: Shirley Bassey, Joe Cocker, Phil Collins, Udo Jürgens, Hildegard Knef, Liza Minnelli and Caterina Valente.
Permanent exhibition on the history of the house and the theater district Berlin-Mitte
In 2010 a permanent exhibition on the history of the theater district was opened in the foyer. Among the exhibits are parts of the stage machinery that Max Reinhardt had installed in the old palace. It is the last testimony of this great house. Marlene Dietrich, Louis Armstrong or Josephine Baker stood a few centimeters above these stage parts, separated only by the stage boards. The exhibition shows the past and present density of entertainment venues in the Berlin-Mitte theater district and along Friedrichstrasse.
The founders of the palace
On November 18, 2015, the Friedrichstadt-Palast Berlin officially inaugurated the memorial at 107 Friedrichstrasse in honor of its founders Max Reinhardt, Hans Poelzig and Erik Charell. Among those present Prof. Dr. Christoph Stölzl (President of the Franz Liszt University of Applied Sciences, Weimar), the two artists Oliver Störmer and Cisca Bogman (stoebo) and Peter A. Poelzig, grandson of the honored expressionist architect.
The stage history of the Friedrichstadt-Palast Berlin begins on November 28, 1919 with the opening of the Großer Schauspielhaus. The 3 famous artists Max Reinhardt, Hans Poelzig and Erik Charell established the world fame of this Berlin entertainment stage.
Reinhardt is the most visionary theater maker and entrepreneur of his time. Poelzig is a formative architect, among others in Berlin. also the house of broadcasting.
Charell shapes the great revues of the “Golden Twenties” in Berlin, discovered Marlene Dietrich and the Comedian Harmonists and created the world-wide operetta success “In the White Roessl”.
From 1933 onwards, all three lost their potential for action in Germany due to the National Socialists. Reinhardt and Charell go into exile because of their Jewish origin, Charell is also at risk as a homosexual. Poelzig faced increasing reprisals because of his expressionist (“degenerate”) architecture.
On January 18, 1934, the house continued as a Nazi propaganda theater under the name “Theater des Volkes”. On November 1, 1947 it received the current name Friedrichstadt-Palast.
For director Dr. Berndt Schmidt, at whose instigation the memorial was created, the motives lie in the importance of the past for our actions today: “Against the background of two dictatorships that have been overcome in our stage history, the palace under my directorship deliberately stands for freedom, diversity and tolerance. In order to honor our founders, who shaped the house and later all three suffered under the National Socialists, the Friedrichstadt Palast dedicated the prominent symbol on Friedrichstrasse to them. “
Other interesting stages in Berlin
The theater for variety, cabaret and acrobatics in the Hackesche Höfe
Tipi at the Chancellery
Right behind the Brandenburg Gate: whether chanson, cabaret, variety, dance, artistry or musical comedy.
Dream worlds under the starry sky: vaudeville & dinner
Group tickets are available from InBerlinReisen!
Political Cabaret DISTEL
Politically incorrect in the evening. With a lot of humor close to the government district. Language: German!